This isn't a recipe that's great to cook with children but my children love eating it and it is low in salycilates.
1 tbsp canola oil * 2
400g beef finely sliced and chopped into a rustic mince
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1medium carrot, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
2 baby potato, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
1 medium vine ripened tomato, finely diced
1 large leek, finely chopped
1/2 cup peas
125 g butter
1 chilled egg
1 tbsp chilled water
1 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tbsp milk
- Prepare short crust pastry. Rub butter into flour with finger tips until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Add the egg and chilled water and bring together with a fork until well combined. Dust with a little flour if the mixture is too wet to knead. Use hands and knead lightly adding a small amount of flour if needed. Wrap in baking paper and place in the freezer.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large fry pan over high heat and sauté the beef for 5 minutes, breaking up any large clumps. Strain the beef and discard liquid from pan. Place the pan back on heat and add 1 teaspoon of oil.
- Add the garlic, and cook for 3 minutes. Add the tomato, carrot and potato to the pan and cook for an additional 3 minutes stirring often.
- Return beef to the pan. Remove from heat and stir through the parsley, season to taste with salt and pepper and let cool for 7 minutes.
- Remove the pastry and separate 2/3 it. Roll out the larger portion of pastry to approx 2mm circle and using fingers, mold to a 20cm circular diameter baking dish, removing all air bubbles. Blind bake for approx 5 - 10 minutes.
- Roll out the pie lid to approx 2mm thick. Cut out decorations before covering the pie.
- Fill the dish with the pie mixture. Place the lid on and pinch the sides down, remove excess. (This is great for adding small amount of grated cheese and using to make savoury snacks.)
- brush with a little milk.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is cooked through.
- Let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes before serving.